Sunday, November 7, 2010

halloween trifle

I was given a trifle bowl just before halloween (thanks Kerrie!)
after an online search I discovered a Paula Dean recipe
for a pumpkin gingerbread trifle

the first layer is crumbled up gingerbread

the second is a mixture of pumpkin, vanilla pudding and spices
the third is a layer of whipped topping

then you are supposed to repeat all three layers again
looking back, I think Paula had a much larger trifle bowl
because after the first three layers, it was nearly reaching the top of the bowl
so I fit whatever I could in there, then sprinkled it with crumbled ginger snaps

once at the party I put the final dollops of whipped topping on there
and some more ginger snap crumbles

this dish was absolutely delicious...flavorful, yet light and not overwhelming
I'd recommend making this for a larger group of people so you don't end up
eating 1/3 of the bowl (like I might have done)

I plan on trying this one again for Thanksgiving, but eyeballing the layers
and probably using the leftover cake for gingerbread cakeballs

No comments:

Post a Comment