Sunday, November 7, 2010

red velvet cake

made a red velvet layer cake for Peter's birthday
I used the red velvet cupcake recipe in this magazine my mom gave me

I'm not a fan of cream cheese frosting, so I used a creamy vanilla frosting instead
I didn't stir the milk/flour mixture constantly, so I got a few flour chunks
the frosting held it's shape, so I went with the textured look instead of smoothing it out

I let the layers completely cool, which made it difficult for the cake leveler to slice through
especially because the cake was also really dense
I ended up with plenty of frosting and could have made the layers thicker

as for taste, the cake had a mild flavor and was very dense
the frosting also had a mild flavor, compared to the frostings I usually make
it was thick, creamy, and worked great with this cake

though I'm used to a light and fluffier red velvet cake
I really enjoyed this one and it seemed to be well received by the party guests
I think I'll try this frosting on different flavors of cakes in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment