Saturday, July 9, 2011

root vegetable pie

 
I wanted to make a savory pie in celebration of national pie day
and to cook with some veggies that I hadn't utilized before
so I took some ideas from the daily garnish and made a root vegetable pie

for the crust I used a weight watcher friendly - low calorie recipe

pie crust
1c. whole wheat flour
2tsp splenda
3TBSP chilled margarine, cubed
2-4TBSP cold water

combine splenda and flour in the food processor
add margarine and process until mixture is crumbly
mix in water a TBSP as a time until dough has formed
flatten out dough with a rolling pin and press dough into the pie pan


chopped up some beets, turnips, parsnips, carrots and red potatoes

tossed them with some olive oil, salt and pepper, then spread out on a baking sheet
baked for about 30min at 375 degrees, stirring half way through

then I cut up a few sweet potatoes and steamed them for about 20min until soft

first time using my new mixer!

added in some skim milk and margarine, then whipped it up 'til smooth

to assemble, I threw the root vegetables into the crust

then spread the mashed sweet potatoes over those
and baked at 400 degrees for about 25-30min

about halfway through I took it out and sprinkled with almonds and cinnamon

deliciously healthy and filling root vegetable pie

happy national pie day!

No comments:

Post a Comment